to go further May 7, 2008 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Murder attempt against Puntland’s last woman TV presenter News Organisation RSF_en January 8, 2021 Find out more Reporters Without Borders said today it was disgusted by a murder attempt against Bisharo Mohammed Waeys, celebrated presenter on the privately-owned Eastern Television Network (ETN), on 4 May, the last woman working openly as a journalist in the semi-autonomous region of Puntland, north-eastern Somalia.Bisharo Mohammed Waeys, who presents a popular talk show onto which she invites singers from the region, was driving to her home in Bossasso, when she came under fire from several armed men and only escaped by accelerating away fast, it was reported by the National Union of Somali Journalists (NUSOJ), partner organisation in Somalia of Reporters Without Borders. The next day she received two text messages threatening to kill her if she did not stop her entertainment programme on ENT.Mohammed Waeys previously presented the TV news. Given her independent character and the fact that she presents programmes without wearing the veil, the group suspected of carrying out the murder attempt is the armed Islamist group “Shabaab”, which has been responsible for most murders of journalists since 2007 and was named a “press freedom predator” by Reporters Without Borders on World Press Freedom Day on 3 May 2008.“A terrible tragedy has been narrowly avoided in this country, which was in 2007, the deadliest for journalists in Africa. Bisharo Mohammed Waeys’s forced descent into life under guard symbolises a serious step backwards for Somalia since the outbreak of war between the transitional government and Islamic insurgents,” the worldwide press freedom organisation said.“The Puntland authorities must take into consideration the disgrace that this represents and protect this journalist in every possible way,” the organisation added. SomaliaAfrica SomaliaAfrica Receive email alerts March 2, 2021 Find out more News February 24, 2021 Find out more News RSF requests urgent adoption of moratorium on arrests of journalists Follow the news on Somalia RSF and NUSOJ call for release of a journalist held in Somalia’s Puntland region News Help by sharing this information Radio reporter gunned on city street in central Somalia
THE Restaurants Association of Ireland (RAI) will be holding a Midwest branch restaurateurs meeting on Tuesday March 3 in the One Pery Square Hotel at 10am. Among the issues covered will be the Governments plans to introduce calorie information on menus nationwide. Chief Executive Adrian Cummins believes that this proposal will have “devastating effects on the restaurant industry, costing €5,000 on businesses and will have a knock on effect in other sectors”. Other topics to be discussed at the meeting include the current allergens regime, The Irish Restaurants Awards 2015, the Governments proposal to increase the minimum wage, maintaining the nine per cent Tourism VAT Rate, new member benefits and services and many more. Registration takes place at 9.45am. Previous articleExtend retail scheme callNext articleLimerick Labour members attend party conference in Killarney Alan Jacqueshttp://www.limerickpost.ie NewsLocal NewsRestaurateurs meeting in LimerickBy Alan Jacques – March 1, 2015 588 TAGSlimerickOne Pery Square HotelRestaurants Association of Ireland (RAI) Print RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR WATCH: “Everyone is fighting so hard to get on” – Pat Ryan on competitive camogie squads Facebook Twitter Vanishing Ireland podcast documenting interviews with people over 70’s, looking for volunteers to share their stories Email Limerick Artist ‘Willzee’ releases new Music Video – “A Dream of Peace” Linkedin Advertisement Predictions on the future of learning discussed at Limerick Lifelong Learning Festival Limerick’s National Camogie League double header to be streamed live WhatsApp Limerick Ladies National Football League opener to be streamed live
Read Full Story For the 50th anniversary of what historians agree was the most dangerous moment in human history, Harvard Kennedy School’s Belfer Center for Science and International Affairs and Foreign Policy magazine today launched a contest for scholars and citizens to reflect on the lessons of the Cuban Missile Crisis and its lessons for current challenges.The contest is straightforward: In no more than 300 words, entrants must present the most persuasive, original lesson flowing from the confrontation that brought the world to the brink of nuclear war over 13 days in October 1962. The rules of the contest and additional details are available here. Prizes will be awarded to the winner in each of three categories: general public; foreign policy scholars/practitioners; and students in grades 6-12. Entries will be accepted through October 10. Winners will be announced October 15. The three winners will each receive an iPad.The Belfer Center has created a Cuban Missile Crisis website to mark the 50th anniversary. The site offers original documents, video clips and an interactive timeline. In addition, the “lessons” section provides tools for teachers, including draft lesson plans, to help engage students in thinking about the modern-day implications of the nuclear showdown half a century ago.Foreign Policy magazine also has innovative content on the crisis, including an “On the Brink” Twitter feed by author and historian Michael Dobbs that provides daily Tweets echoing events 50 years ago as the standoff developed.