Email Monika Matracka has been found guilty of the manslaughter of Michal Rejmer WhatsApp Print First Irish death from Coronavirus Walk in Covid testing available in Limerick from Saturday 10th April Advertisement RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Murder accused Monika MatrackaTHE Director of Public Prosecutions has been urged to provide Limerick District Court with the directions in the case of a woman accused of the murder of a Polish man in Castletroy on New Year’s Eve last.Monika Matracka (34) with an address at The Pines, Briarfield, Castletroy is charged with murdering with allegedly killing the popular Polish long-distance runner Michal Rejmer at the house they shared on a date between December 30 and 31 last year.Last week at Limerick District Court, Judge Mary Larkin heard that the the case had its difficulties and that the file was complicatedSign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Sgt John Moloney told the court that the file had yet to be transmitted to the DPP therefore the directions were not yet available.The court heard from defence solicitor Ted McCarthy that providing an alternative permanent address for the accused was proving difficult and this was in turn impacting on the 34-year-old’s ability to apply for bail.He urged the State to act as expeditiously as possible.Judge Mary Larkin said it was a very serious matter and directions should be obtained as soon as possible and remanded the accused in custody to April 5 [email protected] NewsPolish murder accused remanded in custodyBy Staff Reporter – March 14, 2016 763 Twitter TAGSfeaturedGardaíLimerick District CourtLimerick murderMichal RejmerMonika MatrackaRadom Previous article#video Micky Mean – ‘My Return’Next articleLimerick goes green for St Patrick’s Festival Staff Reporterhttp://www.limerickpost.ie Shannondoc operating but only by appointment Surgeries and clinic cancellations extended No vaccines in Limerick yet Man due in court in connection with Limerick house fire Linkedin Facebook
Oxford climate groups have renewed calls on the University to fully divest from fossil fuels, after Oxford City Council voted overwhelmingly to disinvest their pension fund from fracking.It comes at a time when student campaigners are expected to up the pressure on the University, as tensions continue to rise over the investments of Oxford’s endowment.Oxfordshire residents and student campaigners gathered at Town Hall before the meeting to express their support for the vote, in a rally organised by Oxford University Climate Justice Campaign (OCJC).The motion, proposed by Labour councillors John Tanner and Richard Howlett, passed 38 votes for and none against, with two abstentions.The proposal reaffirmed the Council’s opposition to investment in fossil fuels, which they voted for in 2014, and recommended redirecting such investments to renewable energy initiatives.The motion cited investments of £84 million – equivalent to 3.85% of the £2 billion County pension scheme – in companies which practice fracking or hydraulic fracturing.Student campaign group OCJC told Cherwell: “OCJC was thrilled to stand alongside citywide climate justice organizers and Oxford community members as we watched our local democratic body call for the fossil-free economy we all deserve.“Dozens of us gathered to thank Councillors supportive of the motion, and to remember the Frack Free Three activists imprisoned last week for peacefully protesting fracking in Lancashire.“Beyond the ethical and scientific certainty about obsoleteness of fossil fuels, what we were was hearing was an enthusiasm across party lines about building something better for the City of Oxford.“This is the major takeaway that OCJC campaigners will bring to the University as we start the new academic year: that divestment has been recognized by our own City as an opportunity for building the future we actually want.“Unlike the University of Oxford, they understand that they can trust their fund managers to generate robust returns while feeding back into the livelihood of this very city instead of relying on the industries that are fuelling climate change.”Oxford University has a £2 billion Endowment Fund that is managed and invested by the Oxford University Endowment Fund (OUem), which was revealed to be investing in oil extraction and exploration by the Paradise Papers leaked last November.Several Oxford colleges also invest through OUem.In 2014, following student concerns raised through the SU and backed by both staff and alumni, the University agreed to a University-wide consultation on fossil fuel divestment. Students responded by submitting a set of recommendations, which were endorsed by a majority of JCRs and MCRs.The University’s Socially Responsible Investment Review Committee (SRIRC) responded by submitting its own set of recommendations, directly inspired by the students’, to the University Council.However, Council decided to prohibit direct investments in coal and tar sands, of which the University already had none.It also did not commit to any further divestment, allowing continued indirect investment in fossil fuels.A University spokesperson told Cherwell: “In May 2015, the University’s Council made a statement on fossil fuel investment, following a wide-ranging consultation, and restricting investment in coal and tar sands.“This statement remains the University’s position and all investment decisions are made in accordance with it.The Oxford Endowment Fund has low exposure to the energy sector and has actively sought to invest in groups targeting resource efficient companies.”
Press Association Kenwright has long been searching for new investment in an attempt to ensure Everton do not fall too far behind the financial heavyweights of the Barclays Premier League. Martinez said: “We all know what a fantastic chairman we have. Going forward we’ve got a really exciting team and I think the youth and the talent that we have in our dressing room reflects that spirit in the boardroom. “Our chairman will always look for the best for Everton and clearly when it’s something we have to share with our fans, the fans will be the first ones to know. “But whatever’s going to happen in our future is going to be good because we’re in a great position and the football club is in the best possible hands.” Kenwright may not have the financial muscle of other Premier League chairmen but he has shown himself to be one of the most patient when it comes to managers. Only Manchester United and Arsenal have had fewer different managers over the last 20 years while Martinez, in his third season at Goodison Park, is already the fifth longest-serving boss in the division. Manchester United’s Louis van Gaal is the latest to feel the heat and the Dutchman walked out of a press conference on Wednesday in a sign of anger at the intense speculation over his position. Martinez is saddened by the direction British football is heading in, saying: ” We’re going mad in trying to sell new projects all the time. “I think we need to accept that you’re going to win, draw and lose and we should try to give managers time to put that vision across and find solutions otherwise we’re becoming so volatile. “You get one or two defeats and all you’re looking at is to sell a new project, and a new person is going to come in and is going to be given another two games, and then you’re going to look to a new project. “I don’t think the DNA of the British game is about changing and going from one manager to another. It’s a real shame. We’ve changed immensely in the last 15 years. “If we expect to change manager every time you get a difficult period, you’ll never find a successful team or the really successful stories that we had in the British game. It’s really sad.” Steve McClaren had a rocky start to life in charge of Newcastle but the Magpies go into Boxing Day’s clash with Everton having picked up seven points from their last three games. The Toffees, meanwhile, are without a win in four in the league and needing a reversal of fortunes to stay in the top-four picture. Conceding goals has been Everton’s main Achilles heel, so captain Phil Jagielka’s return from two months out with a knee injury cannot come soon enough. Martinez is confident the defender, along with midfielders James McCarthy and Steven Pienaar and wide man Bryan Oviedo, will feature at some point over the next three weeks. He said: “It’s a really busy period for us but it’s great news to have those four players in a position that they’ve already started to work with the group and we feel very confident that, in one way or another, they’ll be involved in any of those seven games.” At the other end of the pitch, Everton have been performing very well, not least Romelu Lukaku, who can equal an Everton record set by Dixie Dean in 1927 if he scores in a ninth consecutive game against Newcastle. “You’re talking about footballers that are Everton giants,” said Martinez. “To have Romelu’s name around those is an incredible achievement.” That was the message from Toffees boss Roberto Martinez amid takeover talk at Goodison Park. Everton have refused to comment on a report in The Times that American pair John Jay Moores and Charles Noell have signed a head of terms agreement and are studying the club’s accounts ahead of a possible takeover that could be completed within six weeks. Everton fans can have confidence that chairman Bill Kenwright will always do what is best for the club.
Former British number one tennis player Elena Baltacha has died of liver cancer, aged 30.Born in Ukraine and raised in Scotland, Baltacha revealed she had the illness in March.Baltacha, who was British number one for nearly three years, only retired from the sport in 2013.”We are heartbroken beyond words at the loss of our beautiful, talented and determined Bally,” said her husband Nino Severino.He added: “She was an amazing person and she touched so many people with her inspirational spirit, her warmth and her kindness.”She was diagnosed with primary sclerosing cholangitis, a chronic liver condition which compromises the immune system, aged 19. Despite her illness and multiple injury problems, she went on to reach the Australian Open third round in 2005 and 2010 and reached a career-high world ranking of 49.She won 11 singles titles, made the third round of Wimbledon in 2002 and was part of Great Britain’s Fed Cup team for 11 years.Lawn Tennis Association head of women’s tennis Iain Bates said: “Today we have lost a shining light from the heart of British tennis – a true role model, a great competitor and a wonderful friend.”We have so many special memories to cherish, but this leaves a gaping hole for everybody in both British and women’s tennis, and words simply cannot express how saddened we are by this news.”All our thoughts are with Nino and the rest of Elena’s family. We will miss you Bal.”