to go further May 7, 2008 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Murder attempt against Puntland’s last woman TV presenter News Organisation RSF_en January 8, 2021 Find out more Reporters Without Borders said today it was disgusted by a murder attempt against Bisharo Mohammed Waeys, celebrated presenter on the privately-owned Eastern Television Network (ETN), on 4 May, the last woman working openly as a journalist in the semi-autonomous region of Puntland, north-eastern Somalia.Bisharo Mohammed Waeys, who presents a popular talk show onto which she invites singers from the region, was driving to her home in Bossasso, when she came under fire from several armed men and only escaped by accelerating away fast, it was reported by the National Union of Somali Journalists (NUSOJ), partner organisation in Somalia of Reporters Without Borders. The next day she received two text messages threatening to kill her if she did not stop her entertainment programme on ENT.Mohammed Waeys previously presented the TV news. Given her independent character and the fact that she presents programmes without wearing the veil, the group suspected of carrying out the murder attempt is the armed Islamist group “Shabaab”, which has been responsible for most murders of journalists since 2007 and was named a “press freedom predator” by Reporters Without Borders on World Press Freedom Day on 3 May 2008.“A terrible tragedy has been narrowly avoided in this country, which was in 2007, the deadliest for journalists in Africa. Bisharo Mohammed Waeys’s forced descent into life under guard symbolises a serious step backwards for Somalia since the outbreak of war between the transitional government and Islamic insurgents,” the worldwide press freedom organisation said.“The Puntland authorities must take into consideration the disgrace that this represents and protect this journalist in every possible way,” the organisation added. SomaliaAfrica SomaliaAfrica Receive email alerts March 2, 2021 Find out more News February 24, 2021 Find out more News RSF requests urgent adoption of moratorium on arrests of journalists Follow the news on Somalia RSF and NUSOJ call for release of a journalist held in Somalia’s Puntland region News Help by sharing this information Radio reporter gunned on city street in central Somalia
Oxford climate groups have renewed calls on the University to fully divest from fossil fuels, after Oxford City Council voted overwhelmingly to disinvest their pension fund from fracking.It comes at a time when student campaigners are expected to up the pressure on the University, as tensions continue to rise over the investments of Oxford’s endowment.Oxfordshire residents and student campaigners gathered at Town Hall before the meeting to express their support for the vote, in a rally organised by Oxford University Climate Justice Campaign (OCJC).The motion, proposed by Labour councillors John Tanner and Richard Howlett, passed 38 votes for and none against, with two abstentions.The proposal reaffirmed the Council’s opposition to investment in fossil fuels, which they voted for in 2014, and recommended redirecting such investments to renewable energy initiatives.The motion cited investments of £84 million – equivalent to 3.85% of the £2 billion County pension scheme – in companies which practice fracking or hydraulic fracturing.Student campaign group OCJC told Cherwell: “OCJC was thrilled to stand alongside citywide climate justice organizers and Oxford community members as we watched our local democratic body call for the fossil-free economy we all deserve.“Dozens of us gathered to thank Councillors supportive of the motion, and to remember the Frack Free Three activists imprisoned last week for peacefully protesting fracking in Lancashire.“Beyond the ethical and scientific certainty about obsoleteness of fossil fuels, what we were was hearing was an enthusiasm across party lines about building something better for the City of Oxford.“This is the major takeaway that OCJC campaigners will bring to the University as we start the new academic year: that divestment has been recognized by our own City as an opportunity for building the future we actually want.“Unlike the University of Oxford, they understand that they can trust their fund managers to generate robust returns while feeding back into the livelihood of this very city instead of relying on the industries that are fuelling climate change.”Oxford University has a £2 billion Endowment Fund that is managed and invested by the Oxford University Endowment Fund (OUem), which was revealed to be investing in oil extraction and exploration by the Paradise Papers leaked last November.Several Oxford colleges also invest through OUem.In 2014, following student concerns raised through the SU and backed by both staff and alumni, the University agreed to a University-wide consultation on fossil fuel divestment. Students responded by submitting a set of recommendations, which were endorsed by a majority of JCRs and MCRs.The University’s Socially Responsible Investment Review Committee (SRIRC) responded by submitting its own set of recommendations, directly inspired by the students’, to the University Council.However, Council decided to prohibit direct investments in coal and tar sands, of which the University already had none.It also did not commit to any further divestment, allowing continued indirect investment in fossil fuels.A University spokesperson told Cherwell: “In May 2015, the University’s Council made a statement on fossil fuel investment, following a wide-ranging consultation, and restricting investment in coal and tar sands.“This statement remains the University’s position and all investment decisions are made in accordance with it.The Oxford Endowment Fund has low exposure to the energy sector and has actively sought to invest in groups targeting resource efficient companies.”
The St. Louis Cardinals 6th Grade Boys Basketball team defeated St. Michael’s 26-15.Cardinals Points Scored: Calvin Grote – 2 pts.; Thomas Lohmueller – 2 pts.; Conner Miles – 10 pts.; Carson Meyer – 4 pts.; Hank Ritter – 3 pts.; Evan Flaspohler – 5 pts.Rebounds: Carson Meyer – 8, Hank Ritter – 5, Evan Flaspohler – 3, Conner Miles – 3.Steals: Hank Ritter – 4, Conner Miles – 2; Josh Bischoff – 2; Evan Flaspohler – 2.The St Louis Cardinals 7th grade boys basketball team were defeated tonight by Franklin County by a score of 51-33. The Cardinals are now 1-2 on the season and will play again this Saturday in the OA Tip Off Classic.The Saint Louis 5th grade Boys Basketball team played at home versus the Saint Michael Trojans on Tuesday, November 7th.The boys had another solid game on defense and forced many turnovers, but came up short losing 23-5. Scoring for the Cardinals was Christian Mack with 2 points, Max Amberger with 2 points, and Ben Miller with 1 point.The 5th grade’s next game is Thursday, November 9th versus Laurel at home.