TechPost | Episode 9 | Pay with Google, WAZE – the new Google Maps? and Speak don’t Type! Linkedin Advertisement TAGSCervical CheckhealthLimerick City and CountyNews Previous articleHospital’s Art and Culture WeekNext articleCollege Radio gets totally wired for Record Room live show Bernie Englishhttp://www.limerickpost.ieBernie English has been working as a journalist in national and local media for more than thirty years. She worked as a staff journalist with the Irish Press and Evening Press before moving to Clare. She has worked as a freelance for all of the national newspaper titles and a staff journalist in Limerick, helping to launch the Limerick edition of The Evening Echo. Bernie was involved in the launch of The Clare People where she was responsible for business and industry news. Facebook WhatsApp NewsHealthVicky last in line to see cancer reportBy Bernie English – September 12, 2018 2351 Housing 37 Compulsory Purchase Orders issued as council takes action on derelict sites Vicky PhelanVICKY Phelan, the Limerick woman who lifted the lid on the Cervical Check cancer screening scandal, and other women affected by the issue were not given a preview of important new report despite assurances from Health Minister Simon Harris.Ms Phelan has been diagnosed with terminal cancer but was not told for three years that an audit of cervical tests had revealed that abnormalities had been missed.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up This Tuesday, Irish newspapers published an outline of what was contained in the report drawn up by the independent expert, Dr Gabriel Scally, despite promises that the women affected and their families would have sight of it before it was put into the public arena.Lorraine Walsh, one of two patients representatives appointed by Health Minister Simon Harris to a steering committee tasked with overseeing changes to the screening programme, said in an interview with RTE that Vicky Phelan and other women had been re-organising personal commitments to meet Dr Scally ahead of the publication of the report on Wednesday.She said: “I know Vicky was due to have treatment, her life-saving treatment in Dublin, and she was trying to change that so she could be briefed by Dr Gabriel Scally.Ms Walsh said the group was already “emotionally charged” ahead of the report being published and the leak was very upsetting.“It had been confirmed to us yesterday by Gabriel Scally and the minister that we would be briefed prior to the report going to Cabinet or published.“And to wake up this morning and to see news of it all over the papers, it’s just heartbreaking.“It’s just so disappointing that throughout this whole experience the main information source that we have is the media.”The report contains a series of recommendations concerning the need to review screening services and governance issues and open disclosure to any person affected by issues connected with the programme in the future.Long and short-term measures have been recommended in the report but Dr Scally has said that a commission of investigation into the CervicalCheck crisis does not need to be established. Print Limerick on Covid watch list Email Limerick Post Show | Careers & Health Sciences Event for TY Students Twitter RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Shannon Airport braced for a devastating blow Local backlash over Aer Lingus threat
The government has unveiled plans for the quicker resolution of workplace disputes – as new research suggested that UK employers remained “cautious” on recruitment.In his opening speech at the second reading of the Enterprise and Regulatory Reform Bill, the Business Secretary Vince Cable set out the government’s plans to introduce a measure to boost business confidence and ease the handling of workplace disputes.Meanwhile, a study by the Recruitment and Employment Confederation (REC) and KPMG suggested the rate of permanent placements across the UK continued to grow in May, but at the slowest rate for five months. The REC said: “This month’s data shows employers are becoming more cautious about hiring and the figures have been getting weaker over the last two months.”Under the measures outlined yesterday by Cable, employers will be able to offer settlement agreements before a formal dispute arises and will be legally protected from this offer being used as evidence in an unfair dismissal tribunal case.Employees will also continue to enjoy full protection of their employment rights, as they can choose to reject the offer of a settlement agreement and proceed to a tribunal.Cable said: “This Bill is an important part of this government’s plan for long-term growth: fostering enterprise, supporting business and creating jobs.“Settlement agreements are smart, fair and pro-business reforms, which deliver results for employees and employers. It empowers employers by enabling them to keep their workforce flexible and encouraging alternative ways of solving workplace problems, rather than resorting to a tribunal. But crucially, it does so in a way that keeps the necessary protections for employees in place.”>> Government outlines food export plan>>Mandatory display of food hygiene rating planned
Tampa police arrested a man who reportedly threatened to blow up the Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office.Joshua Cramer, 32, is charged with Threatening to Discharge Destructive Device.On June 23 around 9 a.m., the suspect called Tampa Police and said he was upset with HCSO and, that he was out of town but planned on blowing up an HSCO annex office located in Ybor City when he returned.Cramer was arrested at his home by The Tampa Police Department on Tuesday.Police say an investigation into the matter is ongoing but did not release further details.This story is developing.
Athletes run during the Men’s Marathon athletics event at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro on August 21, 2016. / AFP PHOTO / Adrian DENNISKampala, Uganda | THE INDEPENDENT | The Chief de Mission of Uganda’s team at the just concluded Gold Coast Commonwealth Games in Australia, Beatrice Ayikoru has called on Government to establish programs that motivates athletes to stay in Uganda and avoid disappearing abroad.In an interview, Ayikoru who is also the general secretary of the Uganda Athletics Federation (UAF) said since most Ugandan athletes are from poor families and backgrounds, when they go abroad they think that’s the opportunity of a life time.She also says sports in the country lacks motivating with no facilities, like swimming pools, squash courts and gyms and no equipment like rackets which are not made in Uganda and are very expensive.During the Games in Australia five athletes Regan Ssimbwa, Nasir Bashir (boxing), Halima Namboozo (table tennis) and two weightlifters Irene Kasubo and Kalidi Butuusa disappeared.Uganda won three gold medals, two bronze and one silver at the common wealth games, with Joshua Cheptegei winning two gold medals in the 5000 and 10,000 race and Stella Chesang won another gold in the 10,000 meters women’s race. Merciline Chelangat also got a bronze in the 10,000 meters and Solomon Mutai got a Silver medal while Juma Miro won bronze in a weight category. Uganda was ranked 15th.Ayikoru also says the other issue is the welfare of athletes. She says a proper arrangement should be in place to pay athletes, even at a time when they are just starting, adding that the structures of talent identification should be established earlier and made sustainable, saying there are thousands of Ugandans who cannot all go out. Ayikoru said she hopes that the athletes will return back to Uganda.It is not the first time Ugandan athletes have disappeared abroad. Last year, three Ugandan boxers David Ayiti, Geoffrey Kakeeto and African welterweight champion Muzamiru Kakande.who participated in the 2017 AIBA World Championships in Hamburg, Germany, did not return home.***URNShare on: WhatsApp
“That surgery was conducted on Wednesday evening and everyone at Manchester City wishes Benjamin a speedy recovery.”Mendy missed the majority of last season after rupturing the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee against Crystal Palace in September 2017.He returned from injury in April this year and has started nine of City’s 12 Premier League games this season.Share on: WhatsApp FILE PHOTO: Mendy undergoes knee surgeryLondon, United Kingdom | AFP | Manchester City defender Benjamin Mendy underwent knee surgery on Wednesday, the Premier League champions announced.The 24-year-old was operated on after pulling out of the France squad for Friday’s Nations League game with the Netherlands.A statement from City read: “Manchester City can confirm that Benjamin Mendy has undergone surgery on his left knee tonight.“The Frenchman, who played the full 90 minutes in the weekend’s 3-1 win over rivals Manchester United, travelled to join up with his national team before withdrawing from the squad.“The 24-year-old defender attended Dr. Cugat’s clinic in Barcelona where scans revealed that surgery was required.
Simona Halep outplayed Serena Williams to win her first Wimbledon title on Saturday.Halep won 6-2, 6-2 on Centre Court over Williams making history as the first Romanian in to win the competition.The victory stopped Williams’s bid for an incredible 24th major victory and is the third major final defeat in 12 months for the 37-year-old.Both tennis stars are expected to compete next at the US Open.Local 15-year-old tennis player Coco Gauff will also compete at the US open.Related content:Local tennis star Coco Gauff back home in Soflo
by Jim Litke(AP)—Joe Paterno had barely hung up the phone when his wife of 50 years picked it up and redialed the number scrawled on the slip of paper.“After 61 years,” Sue Paterno said to the man who had just fired her husband, “he deserved better.” On the other end was John Surma, vice chairman for a Penn State Board of Trustees that couldn’t muster enough courage or decency to fire Paterno in person. Board members were desperate to stanch the tidal wave of bad news that followed the indictment of Paterno’s longtime former assistant, Jerry Sandusky, on multiple counts of child sex abuse just a few days earlier.So an assistant athletic director knocked on the front door of Paternos’ home that cold November night and wordlessly handed over the note with Surma’s name and a phone number on it. In that mercilessly brief call, Paterno was told that after nearly a half century as coach of the Nittany Lions, he was being fired “effective immediately.”Like that conversation, the one that began with Sue Paterno’s call back didn’t last long.“He deserved better,” she repeated, and then hung up.Yes, he did.And there may be no more fitting postscript for the life and career of a football coach, husband and father who became not just the face, but the unyielding, cantankerous soul of a school that over the course of his tenure was transformed from a “cow college” into a top-shelf public research university. Now all those people who rushed to judgment about Paterno’s role in the Sandusky case will have to find their way out from under the sordid scandal without the longtime coach.Paterno, 85, died Sunday of lung cancer. Those who knew him well believe it was something more akin to a broken heart.“The thing you hear about people who live long lives is that they were still passionate about something, still striving,” said Brett Conway, who played for Paterno before graduating from Penn State in 1997 and embarking on a six-year career in the NFL as a placekicker. “Once they took that away from him, a lot of us felt he was going to have a tough time surviving.“I talked to a few teammates this morning and tried to think of something profound to say about the man who did so much for so many of us. But I can’t think of any single thing. … I had my 4-year-old daughter in my lap when the news came on and she asked me who Joe Paterno was. I told her he was my coach, that we called him JoePa and that he was one of the finest men I ever met in my life.”In his quiet moments, Paterno occasionally invoked the fate of Bear Bryant—another coaching legend who died within weeks after stepping down at Alabama—as though it were some kind of cautionary tale. Yet he remained stubborn to the end, beating back more than one previous attempt by higher-ups at the school to force his hand, most recently in 2004. He kept insisting the game hadn’t passed him by, and that getting through to kids who weren’t as old as some of the sportcoats in his closet was no big deal.In the only interview granted since his Nov. 9 firing, a frail and sometimes-foggy Paterno told Sally Jenkins of The Washington Post many of the same things he said when news of Sandusky’s indictment broke. Most important, that he wished he’d done more when assistant Mike McQueary came to his house on a Saturday morning in 2002, shaken by what he would later tell a grand jury he had seen the night before in a shower at the team’s football complex: Sandusky raping a young boy.Except that out of deference to his aging and decidedly old-school coach, McQueary apparently withheld the most gruesome details from Paterno.It was a story Paterno couldn’t—or wouldn’t— comprehend.“You know, he didn’t want to get specific,” Paterno told the newspaper. “And to be frank with you I don’t know that it would have done any good, because I never heard of, of, rape and a man. So I just did what I thought was best. I talked to people that I thought would be, if there was a problem, that would be following up on it.”We know now that didn’t happen. Paterno never sufficiently explained why, after meeting his legal obligations by notifying his superiors at the university, he didn’t satisfy his moral obligation to do more. He said several times he wish he had. People who judged him guilty then will not change their opinions.“This is not a defense, or an excuse, and maybe it’s even a bad analogy,” Conway began. “But there were so many things about Joe and his ‘old-schoolness’ that probably kept him from comprehending the horror of what Jerry had done. He knew something was wrong, something of a sexual nature and ultimately, all he could bring himself to do is what he was supposed to do.”And if the people who ultimately made the decision to fire him measure up to being even half the man he was,” he said finally, “I’ll be plenty surprised.”Paterno’s legacy will forever be clouded, in large part because the chance to prove his remorse in the final chapter of his public life was taken by the trustees and now is gone forever. For the lion’s share of his 85 years, though, Paterno piled one good deed atop one another that had nothing to do with football—things that time can’t erase, like the library that sits several blocks from the football stadium and was built in large part with his donations back to the school.On balance, all that good should have been enough to earn him one final opportunity to erase the stain that he called one of the great tragedies of his life.He deserved better. LEGENDARY COACH—In this Sept. 4, 2004 photo, Penn State coach Joe Paterno leads his team onto the field before a game against Akron in State College, Pa. (AP Photo/Carolyn Kaster, File)
By Bruce FuhrThe Nelson Daily SportsThe Castlegar Rebels are quietly resting waiting for its next playoff opponent after disposing the Spokane Braves in five games.The odds-on favourite to play the Rebels in the Murdoch Final is the Beaver Valley Nitehawks. But the Nelson Leafs have a thing or two to say about who will be making the trip to the Sunflower City later this week.Cameron Dobransky slammed in a centering pass from Colton Malmsten with less than three minutes remaining in the third period to snap a 4-4 tie and power the Leafs to a thrilling 5-4 come-from-behind victory in game six of the Kootenay International Junior Hockey League Murdoch semi final Tuesday at the NDCC Arena. The win evens the best-of-seven series at 3-3 with game seven Wednesday in Fruitvale.“I was amazed that it went in at first,” said a beaming Dobransky from outside the jubilant Leaf dressing room.“(Colton) Malmsten was right behind the net. We made eye contact and he made a great feed out to me . . ..” added the 17-year-old Pentictonite. “I’m pretty sure I had my eyes closed when I took the shot but it went in that’s the main thing.“That’s the biggest high of my life right now.”Beaver Valley coach Terry Jones was beside himself trying to explain what just happened.After controlling his emotions, the veteran Junior B skipper had this to say about the collapse of his team.“We were just (awful) in the third period,” Jones exclaimed. “We had two defencemen that could play. The rest of them were terrible.”“And I couldn’t believe the effort,” he added. “Like (our guys) come out and play that soft in the third period of a game that could end it. We have a two-goal lead and we come back and we give them a goal. . . ..We give it to them. It’s just unbelievable.”The Hawks looked to have this game in the bag and a trip to the next round of the playoffs.Riding the leadership and goal scoring of Ryon Sookro, who bagged a goal and an assist to lift Beaver Valley to a 4-2 lead 49 seconds into the third period, all the visitors had to do was play out the period and the series was over in six.But quicker than game announcer Gord Davis could announce the Beaver Valley power play goal by Arie Postmus, Colton Schell got the Leafs back to within a goal by sweeping a loose puck past Michael Vlanich. The Beaver Valley netminder had lost his balance after making the save giving Schell a wide-open net.Despite the quick score by Nelson, Beaver Valley still looked to have just enough as the teams plodded though the third period.That was until Dallon Stoddart streaked into the Beaver Valley end on a partial breakaway. Vlanich was equal to the test, making a remarkable save. But Stoddart’s effort seem to inspire the Leafs, who scored the tying marker seconds later when Evan J. Moir beat Vlanich from close range.Two minutes later Dobransky completed the comeback with his third goal of the series.“Motivation . . . positive attitude in the room. Nobody wanted to go home early,” Dobransky explained. “We want to be here until the middle of March. We want to go all the way and that’s what picked us up, made us continue on and comeback for another game.”Connor Enright and Patrick Martens gave Nelson a 2-1 first period lead. Postmus scored for Beaver Valley.In the second, Sookro on the power play and Derek Lashuk gave the Hawks a 3-2 advantage.Nelson out shot the Hawks 29-25 with Marcus Beesley registering his third home-ice victory of the playoffs.“So it’s come back down to again of who wants it the most,” Jones said.Stay tuned Rebel faithful.OVERTIME: Gavin Currie led the Leafs with two points in the game. . . .Nelson snipers Dustin Johnson and Joel Stewart did not play in game six. Johnson was suspended after receiving a game misconduct with 34 seconds remaining in game five. Stewart has left the team for person reasons said Leaf coach Chris Shaw. . . .Raymond Reimer also missed the game due to injury. . . .The Nelson Bantam Reps, off to Smithers in March for the Tier III Bantam Provincials, raised more than $900 during a fundraiser at Tuesday’s game. The team held a bake sale along with a paper-airplane toss into a passing new 2011 Ford Ranger truck. . . . The game attendance was 591. . . . At the end of the game while the Leafs were heading to celebrate the win with goalie Marcus Beesley, Colton Malmsten clipped Tyler Collins of the Hawks on the helmet with his stick. Collins was down on the ice for several minutes before leaving under his own power. No penalty was [email protected]