DUBROVNIK AND SPLIT AGAINST LIBERALIZATION OF TAXI MARKET, WANT TO INTRODUCE ORDER DUBROVNIK: ATMS ARE LEAVING THE OLD TOWN An excellent positive example of dialogue and how the City should cooperate with various professional associations, because without synergy and market development, and not politicking, we certainly cannot move forward. Also, the profession and people from the field know deeper issues, and one man, in this case the mayor, can not know everything, and accordingly not even make decisions on topics in which he is not familiar enough. Communication and synergy. He paid special attention to staying at the entrances to the old town and the movement of groups along Stradun, because these are the busiest parts where crowds quickly form. “Better throughput and movement through the City will provide tourists with a better experience ” Franković points out. RELATED NEWS: “Licensed guides for the protected area of the City of Dubrovnik with their knowledge and experience and direct contact with visitors can significantly contribute to the perception of our city and life in it ”States Mayor Franković in the letter, inviting all guides to introduce their groups to the project Respect the City and call on them to respect the prominent rules and the local population. On the Pile and Ploče bridges, stopping groups is not allowed, as well as in Široka Street, and it is recommended to stop as little as possible on Stradun, and it is especially important to pay attention to the streets of the pedestrian corridor. All recommendations and rules have been previously harmonized with the leadership of the Tourist Guides Association and the Tourist Guides Guild. The City of Dubrovnik continues to develop and implement the strategic project Respect the City, in order to prevent the negative effects of excessive tourism through destination management. By the way, for 2021, a change has been announced that will apply to all guides, the introduction of the rules of mandatory use of headphones for all groups over 15 people and a complete ban on the use of microphones with loudspeakers. To this end, the Mayor of the City of Dubrovnik, Mato Franković, invited tourist guides to cooperate, addressing the Dubrovnik Tourist Guides Association and the Tourist Guides Guild. “Tourist guides know the City and each of its cantons best. Every virtue and advantage, flaw and need. You have a great role in creating order, as well as in the experience by which tourists will remember our city, and we believe that you will help us create change and achieve our goals.”Concluded Mayor Franković. Photo: City of Dubrovnik UNIQUE SMART PARKING SYSTEM LAUNCHED IN DUBROVNIK Although Dubrovnik certainly has a lot of problems, as do other cities due to mass tourism, it is still nice to see concrete moves aimed at bringing order to Dubrovnik. The Respect the city project is growing and expanding, although for many it is too slow, it cannot be said that it is not a quality project and that there are no concrete changes for the better. Definitely to be commended.
Greg Poling, a South China Sea expert at Washington’s Center for Strategic and International Studies, said declaring China’s claims illegal opened the way for a tougher US response, such as through sanctions, and could also lead to more US naval presence operations.A Chinese foreign ministry spokesman earlier condemned the tougher US stand on China’s claim, saying it “destroys regional peace and stability and is an irresponsible act.”A US Navy destroyer carried out a freedom of navigation operation on Tuesday near the Spratly Islands in the South China Sea, the US military said.”This freedom of navigation operation upheld the rights, freedoms, and lawful uses of the sea recognized in international law by challenging the restrictions on innocent passage imposed by China, Vietnam, and Taiwan,” the Navy said.Such operations have been increasingly common in recent years.The US-China relationship has grown increasingly tense recently over various issues, including China’s handling of the novel coronavirus and its tightened grip on Hong Kong.Stilwell said the tougher US position meant “we are no longer going to say we are neutral on these maritime issues.””When a [Chinese] drilling rig plants itself in Vietnamese or Malaysian waters, we’re going to be able to make a positive statement,” he said.Stilwell had a particular warning about the Scarborough Shoal, an outcrop 200 km from the Philippines claimed by Beijing and Manila that China seized in 2012.”Any move by [China] to physically occupy, reclaim or militarize Scarborough Shoal would be a dangerous move … and would have lasting and severe consequences for [China’s] relationship with the United States, as well as the entire region,” he said. Topics : The top US diplomat for East Asia warned on Tuesday that Washington could respond with sanctions against Chinese officials and enterprises involved in coercion in the South China Sea after the United States announced a tougher stance to Beijing’s claims there.”Nothing is off the table … there is room for that. This is a language the Chinese understand – demonstrative and tangible action,” David Stilwell, assistant secretary of state for East Asia, told a Washington think-tank when asked if sanctions were a possible US response to Chinese actions.Stilwell spoke a day after the United States rejected China’s claims to offshore resources in most of the South China Sea as “completely unlawful,” a stance denounced by Beijing. The United States has long opposed China’s expansive territorial claims in the South China Sea and has sent warships regularly through the strategic waterway, through which about $3 trillion of trade passes each year, to demonstrate freedom of navigation. But Monday’s announcement was the first time it declared Chinese claims illegal.China claims 90% of the potentially energy-rich sea, but Brunei, Malaysia, the Philippines, Taiwan and Vietnam also claim parts of it. Beijing has built bases on atolls in the region but says its intentions are peaceful.Chinese foreign ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying said on Wednesday the US threat of sanctions was its latest attempt to stir up trouble and destabilize the region.”The US arbitrarily talks about sanctions … this is very pathetic,” she told reporters during a daily briefing in Beijing. “We are not afraid of sanctions.”
With the Sharks killing a slashing penalty to Barclay Goodrow, called with 9:14 left in the second overtime, Hertl came … LAS VEGAS — Martin Jones had the playoff performance of his life but Tomas Hertl made sure the Sharks’ season didn’t end Sunday.Hertl scored with 8:43 left in the second overtime to give the Sharks a 2-1 win over the Vegas Golden Knights in Game 6 of their first-round playoff series. CLICK HERE if you are having a problem viewing the photos on a mobile device
23 June 2009South Africa’s soccer team (whose nickname means “The Boys”) take on Brazil in a Confederations Cup semifinal at Ellis Park on Thursday. The two teams have only met twice before, both times in Johannesburg, the first time in one of the most memorable matches in Bafana Bafana’s short history.While Brazil, with a record five World Cup titles to their name, have a long history as one of the powerhouses of football, the same cannot be said for Bafana Bafana, whose first international outing as an integrated national team only took place in 1992.However, South Africa’s first outing against the South Americans remains a powerful memory for SA football fans.Africa champs vs world champsIt took place on 24 April 1996. The occasion was the Nelson Mandela Challenge, and the contest was eagerly awaited: it pitted the African champions of 1996 against the World Cup winners of 1994.The Brazilian line-up included some World Cup winners, as well as members of the Brazilian Olympic team, who were using the match as a warm-up ahead of the Olympic Games in Atlanta.Coach Mario Zagallo’s line-up included Rivaldo, who would go on to be crowned Fifa World Player of the Year and European Footballer of the Year (while playing for Barcelona) in 1999. He played 74 times for Brazil in his career, scoring an impressive 34 times.Bebeto, Aldair, DidaUp front, Bebeto was a household name. He had captured the attention of the world in the 1994 World Cup – the second of three in which he played – when he celebrated a goal against The Netherlands in the quarterfinals by rocking an imaginary baby; his wife had given birth to his third child only days earlier. Bebeto played 75 times for Brazil and netted 39 goals.At the back, the Brazilians had central defender Aldair, a man who made such a mark for Italian Serie A club Roma, for whom he played 415 matches, that when he retired in 2006 the team retired his number six jersey. He turned out for his country on 81 occasions.Goalkeeper Dida played even more matches for Brazil, making 91 international appearances.Clearly, it was a quality side.African Nations Cup winning captainFacing the Brazilians was a South African team captained by Neil Tovey, the same man who had led Bafana Bafana to victory in the African Nations Cup final against Tunisia at the same stadium where SA was to face the world champions.The man in charge was Clive “The Dog” Barker, the popular coach who had pulled the strings when South Africa lifted the continental title.At the back, in central defence, was Lucas Radebe, who would go on to succeed Tovey as captain and become one of the most popular players in the history of Bafana Bafana. As a star player for Leeds United, he was recognised as one of the best defenders in the tough English Premier League.The ‘most Brazilian’ South AfricanIn Bafana Bafana’s midfield was Doctor Khumalo, a player whose touch and skill made him the “most Brazilian” of the South African side, in the romantic sense in which Brazilian football is often viewed.The South African attack featured Phil “Chippa” Masinga, who would score the goal against Congo the following year that would earn South Africa a place at the 1998 World Cup in France.Alongside Masinga was Shaun Bartlett, who would go on to become Bafana Bafana’s all-time leading goal scorer – with 28 in 74 matches – before his mark was eventually surpassed by Benni McCarthy.‘For President Mandela’In the lead-up to match, Barker said the game was “for President Mandela. What a night it will be if we beat Brazil”. South Africa didn’t win, but what a contest it turned out to be.In a first half that left many of the home team’s fan incredulous, South Africa took the game to Brazil and were rewarded for their intent. Masinga put South Africa into a 25th-minute lead, and Doctor Khumalo made it 2-0 at the break, to the delight of Bafana’s fans.However, the Brazilians fought back after the break, with winger Flavio netting in the 56th minute. Twelve minutes later, Rivaldo made it 2-2.Then, with only four minutes left, Bebeto snatched the winner for the visitors.A top-class international outfitAlthough South Africa were beaten, the match provided ample proof that South Africa’s African Nations Cup title was no fluke; it validated the recognition the side sought as a top-class international outfit.It also proved to be a wonderful celebration of the game of football, and of the role Nelson Mandela played in bringing democracy to the country.In case you were wondering about Bafana Bafana’s second clash with Brazil, it took place in December 1997. Brazil won 2-1, with goals from Romario and Bebeto. Helman Mkhelele replied for South Africa.What will Thursday night bring? True fans would welcome a similar degree of entertainment, regardless of the result.Would you like to use this article in your publication or on your website? See: Using SAinfo material
Trina RoacheAPTN National NewsFirst Nation leaders in New Brunswick say a former premier needs a lesson on treaties.Frank McKenna has been a vocal supporter of the Energy East Pipeline, a project to carry crude oil from Alberta to Eastern Canada. It could wind its way through traditional Maliseet and Mi’kmaq territories to an oil refinery in Saint John.McKenna was quoted in the Telegraph Journal this week touting the benefits of the pipeline coming east “…because we have fewer First Nation issues as a result of existing treaties whereas in the West, they don’t have treaties signed…and we have more Crown land that would be part of the right-of-way discussion.”As a former politician, diplomat and current deputy chair of the TD Bank, McKenna is a prominent figure.“While Mr. McKenna’s opinion is mistaken it is nevertheless influential,” said Assembly of First Nations Regional Chief Roger Augustine.The Peace and Friendship Treaties signed in the mid-1700s formalized a relationship between the Crown and the Mi’kmaq, Maliseet and Passamoquoddy. The treaties affirm Aboriginal rights and title, but never surrendered land.“With respect, Mr. McKenna has either been misinformed or has misspoken regarding our treaties and the current state of Aboriginal-Crown relations in New Brunswick,” said Augustine.In his view, the treaties don’t mean fewer roadblocks, but instead lead to the bigger question of how First Nations can get a “piece of the action.”And not just jobs, but royalties.Other Mi’kmaq and Maliseet leaders are more cautious but say that if the pipeline becomes reality, they need to be in a position to negotiate.“I have to be at the table. We have an obligation to be there,” said Candice Paul, chief of the St. Mary’s First Nation near Fredericton. “One of the elders told me that if you’re not at the table, you’re on the menu.”Paul said Aboriginal concerns over environmental impacts will have to be addressed.New Premier Brian Gallant promised a better approach to First Nations issues during his campaign.“After four years of deteriorating relations with the government of New Brunswick, Mr. Gallant’s remarks offered reason to be cautiously optimistic,” said Augustine.Gallant is all for the Energy East Pipeline calling it an economic boon that will create jobs. He flew to Alberta to show his support when TransCanada Corp filed the paperwork to kick start the regulatory process.But if government drops the ball on consultation again and Aboriginal concerns are ignored in favour of industry, a repeat of the shale gas protests may loom on the horizon. A lot of ifs which can be avoided said Paul.“I hope with this government now, that they saw and learned from that and that they sit down and meet with us, take our concerns and come up with an action plan of how we move forward,” said Paul.A meeting between the province and First Nation chiefs is tentatively set for next week. Broad discussion on how to move forward on Aboriginal issues is on the agenda, as well as for First Nations leaders to make sure government has a better grasp on the treaties than McKenna.“The former premier, McKenna, needs to go get educated on the Peace and Friendship Treaties that we do have in the province he was premier of and that we didn’t cede our land,” said Paul.McKenna declined to comment.
Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppBahamas, April 11, 2017 – Nassau – Perry Christie is describing the upcoming elections as a “sprint to the finish line”. Speaking to what the party described as a city of gold, its crowd donned in yellow at its mini rally held over the weekend at Claridge Road Park, the Prime Minister and Leader of the incumbent PLP told party supporters that they must have their “feet ready for the sprint”, as they prepare themselves “for the announcement”.Standing before his candidates at the Rally, Christie assured those gathered that the PLP’s representatives were “gifted, talented and they have vision and the capacity to execute the vision.” Following the first Proclamation that gave way for Parliament to be prorogued on April 7th, the second Proclamation gave Notice of the return to Parliament on Tuesday April 11th, today, when it’s expected that the election date will be announced.#MagneticMediaNews#BahamasGeneralElections2017#racetoelectionday Fred Mitchell’ s Sour Grapes rant following FNM win. Related Items:#BahamasGeneralElections2017, #magneticmedianews, #racetoelectionday Recommended for you 88 Percent voter turnout Bahamas General Elections 2017 Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Fred Smith, Q.C : Christmas has come Early to Bahamas, FNM paints Parliament red