The 8-5 favourite, LOTTERY TICKET, got up in the nick of time to beat long-time leader LUNAR ROCKET (5-1) by half-a-length in the inaugural running to the Miracle Cure Sprint over 1100 metres at Caymanas Park yesterday.Ridden by leading jockey Omar Walker for 15-time champion trainer Wayne DaCosta and co-owners Elizabeth DaCosta and Bruce Levy, LOTTERY TICKET was kept off the early pace set by LUNAR ROCKET and the chasing BLUE MOON (19-1).Responding to a bustling ride from Walker, a furlong out, LOTTERY TICKET fairly flew over the last 100 metres to catch LUNAR ROCKET within shades of the wire, with her stable-companion BLUE MOON holding on to third in a field of 14 three-year-old fillies.A lightly raced sort, LOTTERY TICKET, by Seeking The Glory out of Just A Flutter, was notching her second win from five starts.Earlier in the afternoon, SOTOMAYOR (5-1), ridden by champion apprentice Linton Steadman for trainer Anthony Nunes, floored the odds on the howling 1-9 favourite HENRY THE SECOND to win the Abbie Grannum Memorial Cup for maiden two-year-olds over 1400 metres by half a length.NOT TO BE DENIEDThe grey colt by Traditional out of Runaway Julie, went by HENRY THE SECOND from early in the straight and although the favourite rallied strongly in the closing stages, SOTOMAYOR was not to be denied.He is co-owned by David Miller and Stephan Narinesingh and provided Steadman with the second of two winners on the card, the other being LEGENDARY PLEASURE at 5-2 in the first race.The best horses will be on show next Saturday for the 38th running of the Burger King Superstakes over 2000 metres for a purse of $4.5 million. Ten entries have been received for the Superstakes, including last year’s winner, FRANFIELD, from the Richard Azan stables, two-time winner TYPEWRITER and the reigning ‘Horse of the Year’, SEEKING MY DREAM.
Amidst allegations that some local vendors are working behind the scenes to make a windfall during this national Ebola calamity in Liberia, the United Nations Development Program (UNDP) has debunked allegations that it was working in sync with the National Ebola Taskforce to procure about 17 ambulances to help in the fight against the deadly Ebola scourge.One of the vendors participating in the bid to supply the ambulances said that the whole process was shrouded in an unholy, unprofessional aura (atmosphere). “We are bringing this to the press because we are afraid that a certain firm wants to manipulate the process to take undue advantage”, our informants, who preferred anonymity said.This revelation was also corroborated by a source close to the Ebola Taskforce who asked not to be named.Our source explained that when it became obvious that there was a need for the importation of more ambulances to facilitate the transport of Ebola-affected patients and the collection of dead Ebola bodies, the Taskforce approached the United Nations Development Program (UNDP) in a bid to have the latter help in bringing the ambulances into Liberia. Our reporter also gathered that the Taskforce approached a number of vendors soliciting quotations for the importation of ambulances. This was confirmed by James Dorbor Jallah, Coordinator of the Taskforce.The Daily Observer, acting on the tip off, immediately contacted UNDP to authenticate the veracity in the allegation.On whether the UNDP advised the National Ebola Taskforce or had a conversation relative to the procurement of ambulances at the unit cost of US$33,000, Augusta Pshorr, Communication Specialist at the UNDP, said on August 13, 2014, the UNDP received a message from the Taskforce that in response to the Ebola emergency, the Government of Liberia wanted to procure 17 ambulances for immediate use, and wanted to know whether UNDP could help.Pshorr further indicated that before UNDP could respond, it (UNDP) was advised that given the urgency, action had been taken to procure 12 ambulances that would be available in 30 days; but the question was whether UNDP would assist in lifting them by air. UNDP promised to check on available options and advise accordingly, which she said UNDP could.Pressed further on the results of the UNDP/Ebola Taskforce interaction relative to the overseas procurement of ambulances, Pshorr said it was “Just through exchanges, but in the meantime, UNDP offered to provide assistance in any future procurement needs using its procurement system that responds to emergencies like Ebola.”By these exchanges, Pshorr could not tell the current status of the transaction and could not tell the Daily Observer whether the exchanges between the two institutions had ended in a deadlock.Though Pshorr claimed that the UNDP did not know the details of the Taskforce ambulance importation transaction, our source at the UNDP says that after learning of the Taskforce solicitation of quotations from vendors, it (UNDP) alerted the Taskforce of the alleged breach but the Taskforce downplayed Pshorr’s advice and went ahead to negotiate a deal with the Africa Motors to import 12 ambulances at the unit cost US$ 66,000.Since the outbreak of the Ebola malady accounting for the death of over 1,000 Liberians and other nationals in Liberia, there have been alleged attempts by some service providers, international organizations and some members of the national Ebola Taskforce to work out a scheme to purchase ambulances far beyond their market value.When contacted, an official of the Africa Motors, Mohammed Batsam, said after they were approached by the Taskforce to provide quotations for the procurement of 12 ambulances, and they forwarded all of the necessary quotations projecting US$66,000 per unit to the Task Force.Batsam said all of the requisite documents were forwarded to the Taskforce, including a Performance Bond from the GT Bank and they are awaiting the response of the Taskforce.When asked whether Africa Motors was colluding with some members of the Taskforce to bring into Liberia ambulances at a unit cost double the US$33,000 as suggested by the UNDP, Batsam denied the allegation, addin, “We have always been partners of the Liberian government and people.”He said the ambulances they promised to bring in the country are 4×4 Toyota Land Cruiser jeeps fully air-conditioned with all of the appropriate accessories and state of the art equipment that should be in an ambulance.Up to press time, Batsam said the deal had not been concluded, but added that once it was concluded, the Toyota Land Cruiser ambulances which are made in Japan will be lifted from the United Arab Emirates.The Africa Motors executive denied the allegation that his company was colluding with insiders at the Ebola Taskforce to sell an ambulance far above the price of US$33,000 allegedly proposed by the UNDP. When contacted, Mary Broh, Director of the General Services Agency, invited James Dorbor Jallah, Coordinator of the Taskforce, who clarified that the Taskforce did solicit quotations from vendors to be appraised for the subsequent procurements of additional ambulances to help augment the strength of ambulances currently in the fleet, helping in the collection of suspected patients of Ebola and the dead.Jallah explained that following the perusal of all of the quotations, the Taskforce will make a determination on which company or companies to engage to bring in the ambulances.Since the Ebola disease outbreak here, there have been a mismatch between the number of people dying from the disease and the number of ambulances needed to take suspected patients to isolation centers and to convey the dead to the crematorium or burial sites. The conspicuous absence of ambulances at major health centers across the country has exposed the weakness in Liberia’s health system.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
As the Guyana Trade and Investment Exhibitions (GUYTIE) continued at the Guyana Marriott Hotel, several companies have introduced new products to the market. Comfort Sleep introduced a wide range of mattresses and Massy Technologies Guyana, introduced their alternative energy initiative.Director and General Manger at Massy Technologies Guyana, Jason Sahai, is quoted by the Department of Public Information highlighting the company’s new alternative solar energy initiative. It includes inverters, a solar panel, charge controllers and charge regulators were included. Director Sahai highlighted that the Massy company has intention of working with small-scale to medium-scale contractors to deploy the solar and wind energy countrywide. In addition, Sahai said the new product line has already drawn interest from several international investors and contractors who can help to deploy the company’s solutions. He added that individuals can save money on electricity costs.Comfort Sleep has been operating for over 13 years with its unique brand of sleep technology. The Managing Director of Comfort Sleep, Director Dennis Charran said his company is focused on innovation with the introduction of the new products. He added that the new mattress is the company’s eighth line of mattresses which is their highest foam line launched. Charran highlighted that the international standard mattress has high-density foam with 300 grams of fabric which has a 10-year life span on it.Charran expressed that the purpose of launching this new product at GUYTIE, seeks to attract international buyers. Cuban and Korean buyers have already been attracted to Comfort Sleep’s new product.GUYTIE is a business-to-business event intended to create a platform for local export-ready businesses to captivate foreign buyers and other potential partners. Potential investors from the United States, Canada and Europe are attending the event. The exhibition ended on Saturday.
Rain has once again hindered another weekend event in the Peace Region.The 2nd annual Mini Stock Challenge, scheduled to take place at the Taylor Speedway Saturday, July 16 at 3 p.m. has been cancelled due to unsafe track conditions brought upon by the heavy amounts of rain.Day two of the Mini Stock Challenge is still set for Sunday, July 17 and it has yet to be determined if races will commence as scheduled. – Advertisement -Sunday’s race is scheduled to begin at 1 p.m.
Atletico Madrid have offered QPR and Sunderland target Cristian Rodriguez to both Olympiacos and Galatasaray.According to reports in Spain, the La Liga champions are actively seeking a departure for the Uruguayan midfielder and have approached both clubs to gauge their interest.QPR and Sunderland have both been strongly linked with the man known as ‘Cebolla’ – which translates as ‘Onion’ – and it has been suggested that they might look to sign him this month.However, his future could lie away from England if either Olympiacos or Galatasaray make him an offer.It has been suggested that Turkish giants Gala hold the firmest interest, although they have already reached the quota of non-Turkish players allowed in their squad.But that could change with Macedonian striker Goran Pandev linked with a January departure away from the club, which could open the door for a Rodriguez swoop. 1 Cristian Rodriguez
Letterkenny Chamber and Shop LK have a surprise for those who attend the Halloween Fest on the 31st of October on the Main Street.Rumour has it that close to 4pm something evil could be lurking in the dark. Not quite under moonlight, (although with time going back it could seem that way) you may see a sight that almost stops your heart.John Watson Chamber President commented “We have gone all out this year with the help of Letterkenny Town Council, to organise Halloween in Letterkenny and we feel the surprise is the icing on the cake. “Secret rehearsals have taken place over the last six weeks and costumes are being put together as we speak. We hope there will be a great turn out for it, it’s something you won’t want to miss”.As well as the surprise there will be music with DJ Scoop from 1pm piped up and down Main Street, we are encouraging families to come out dressed in their best costumes to trick or treat in participating shops. They might get a chance to meet Dracula, have their face painted and hear some ghostly stories. It’s all going to be good family fun.To find out what the surprise is, and to join in all other activities come down to the Main Street from 1pm on Wednesday the 31st, there’s sure to be a thrill in the air. SOMETHING LURKING IN THE DARK IN LETTERKENNY THIS HALLOWEEN was last modified: October 24th, 2012 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:HalloweenLetterkenny Chamberthriller
THE $600 million state library building bond crept quietly onto the June ballot. It was a shrewd move by the measure’s supporters. They are clearly relying on the fact that our highly literate society generally has warm and fuzzy feelings when it comes to public libraries, and would unquestioningly vote the measure through. But that would be a mistake, especially for Los Angeles. Not that Angelenos don’t love libraries. We do. We have loved them to the tune of $300 million in two bonds in the last 17 years to build new libraries and reconstruct others. The result has been attractive and state-of-the art libraries and community centers that serve every nook of the city. Angelenos have already paid plenty to improve the state’s libraries. Not only have we invested in our own, but we helped to pay for Proposition 14, the $350 million state library bond passed just six years ago. It’s not fair to ask L.A. voters to pay again to improve the libraries of other cities whose residents haven’t been willing to make the same investment that we have. And it’s unseemly for Sacramento to hit up voters with another library bond so soon after Proposition 14. It’s time for the state’s cities and communities to do their share to support their own public libraries. That’s what we did in Los Angeles, and that’s what Marin County, San Diego and Palm Springs ought to do as well. That’s why Angelenos and all Californians should vote no on Proposition 81. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORE11 theater productions to see in Southern California this week, Dec. 27-Jan. 2160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
Graeme Souness believes Manchester United have had ‘their trousers taken down’ paying £89million for Paul Pogba.Souness’s scathing assessment came after United saw out a tame 0-0 draw with Southampton, a game which Pogba missed following the recent death of his father. The former Juve midfielder has impressed in patches this season, but Souness isn’t convinced United have been received value for money. Souness told Sky Sports: “United have to pay a premium. For United, stick 25 per cent on the price.“Because it’s Man United and they have the money. In my opinion, they had their trousers taken down paying £100million.“I’m yet to be convinced by that. He may be a player one day but right now as we sit here after one year in our football, I’m still waiting to be convinced.”Souness also bemoaned United’s performance at St Mary’s and isn’t convinced fatigue is an issue. He said: “Man up, I’m sorry. These guys have got to perform. Nobody tried to pussyfoot around us. You’re no good if you lose next week, deal with it.” 1 Pogba missed the clash with Southampton to attend his father’s funeral
Four Masters G.A.A. ClubThe €50 winners in the Annual Lotto for Week 44 were E & M Timoney, Castle Street and Mary Mc Cauley, O’ Cleirigh Avenue. The numbers drawn were 2, 8, 13 & 18 with the jackpot now standing at €1,800.Test your forecasting skills now by entering the Sports Prediction Quiz launched by the Club recently sponsored by All Sports. Forecast the winners of 20 sporting events this summer to be in with a chance to win the 1st Prize of €200.00 Cash & All Sports Donegal Jersey or the 2nd Prize of a €100 All Sports Shopping Voucher. Entry sheets at only €5.00 can be downloaded from www.fourmastersgaa.com or purchased from Sean Dunnion/Kieran Espey, All Sports, Dom’s Pier 1, Mc Cafferty’s Tir Conaill Bar, The Bank and O’ Donnell’s Bar. On Saturday last some of the Club’s youngest members took their first foray into semi-competitive football when they participated in an Under 8 blitz in Ballyshannon. Fifteen young men set out for their first time wearing the Club colours and acquitted themselves superbly winning five out of the six games they played. Two teams from Four Masters (7 a-side) along with two each from Aodh Ruadh and Naomh Brid played out six excellent contests. The quality of their football was very high considering their tender years. Who knows we may have got a glimpse of the next Karl Lacey or Barry Dunnion. It wouldn’t surprise anybody if we did! Many thanks to Aodh Ruadh and Naomh Brid and to all the parents and supporters who travelled up to cheer on the boys. Four Masters Under 8 boys who took part in the Aodh Ruadh blitz last Saturday in Ballyshannon. GAA NEWS: FOUR MASTERS CLUB NOTES was last modified: May 15th, 2012 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Four Masters GAA club notes
JuniorsOur junior team’s last game in the group stage of the championship did not take place last weekend with Crawley & Brighton Gaels giving us a walkover.We are tied in 2nd place with Thomas McCurtains resulting in a play-off with them on the weekend of 3/4 th September. The winner will qualify into the semi-finals.Lottery Results 18 August Jackpot £3,000 – No WinnerNumbers drawn 4, 15, 21 & 28£25 Lucky Dip Winners:Kieran Cunningham, TCG Mick Crowley, c/o Hennesseys GreenfordEddie Brennan, c/o Hennesseys GreenfordPierce Ronan, c/o TCGNext draw 25th August – Jackpot £3,000Play online at www.tirchonaillgaels.com Thank you for your support!GAA News: Tír Chonaill Gaels minor team to fight to get to Thomas McCurtain semi-finals was last modified: August 22nd, 2016 by Elaine McCalligShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:GAALondonthomas mc curtainsTir Chonaill Gaels