FOR several years, it was the United States that crumbled under the extreme pressure that comes with the men’s sprint relay, but this time, in the 4x100m heats on Saturday night (22), it was their arch rivals Jamaica.For so long a model of consistency when it came to changeovers, perhaps such an error had been a long time coming, but it arrived in the first of three heats.Jevaughn Minzie, their third leg runner, took off early – too early – as Kemar Bailey-Cole charged down the back straight. Perhaps it was the difference in height, perhaps it was the fact that Bailey-Cole was put at full stretch, but when he tried to place the baton into Minzie’s hand, it missed and crashed to the track, their hopes of reclaiming their world relays title from the US falling with it.“It was just a misunderstanding,” said Everton Clarke, their lead-off runner. “It happens in relays.”As a result of the mishap, the Netherlands powered to victory in the heat in 38.71, a couple of metres clear of China (38.97), who also advanced automatically, and Australia (39.09) who reached the final as a non-automatic qualifier. “In the final, anything can happen,” said Churandy Martina of the Netherlands shortly afterwards.The second heat saw no such mishaps, with the first three legs teeing the race up perfectly for a sprint heavyweight clash down the home straight between Justin Gatlin of the US and Andre De Grasse of Canada. Just inches separated them across the line at the Olympics, and that was the case again here, with Gatlin taking the baton a half-metre up then tussling with De Grasse for the entire home straight.In the end, youth beat experience, with De Grasse even throwing a casual glance to Gatlin as he pushed past before the line, the Canadians taking the win by 0.01 in 38.21. France, third in 39.10, advanced to the final on time.The third heat proved a one-team race, with Great Britain and Northern Ireland powering away from the outset – Adam Gemilli’s third leg doing particular damage – before Daniel Talbot brought them home in 38.32 ahead of Barbados (39.26).(Sportsmax)
However, it is not only Umeh that is eyeing the N500,000 star prize money on offer by Rainoil. Number 2 seed, Emmanuel Sylvester wants an improvement over the second round he got knocked out of this tournament last year by Chima Michael. “I was disappointed with my outing last year may be because I’m just back from injury but this year I’m in a very good shape and I look forward to win this tournament because I would be very happy to win this tournament because Rainoil are my sponsor,” declared the 22-year-old, who as a teenager won the inaugural Rainoil Top-Eight Masters, which metamorphosed to the current tournament.Meanwhile, some of the last men’s singles qualifiers played yesterday include; Kareem Badmus defeated Usman Kushimo 6-1, 6-1 to earn a spot in the main draw. Those who are already through to the Main Draw include; John Dickson, Matthew Abamu, Franklin Ronald, Peter Lawal, David Dawarire, Pius Lawrence, Michael Ambrose, Ismaila Adeshin, Nurudeen Adebisi and Olalekan Bello.In the women’s singles, defending Champion, Sarah Adegoke will have to be on the look out for Blessing Samuel who is after her crown. Both players are the top two seeds.Interestingly, some of the junior players who are expected to make waves include, Serena Teluwo, Oiza Yakubu, and Olamide Aluko. These kids who are the future of Nigeria’s female tennis have already proved their worth on the international scene, playing the ITF junior tournaments in Togo early this year. They made their ways into the Main Draw starting this morning.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram The Main Draw of the second edition of the Rainoil Open Tennis Championship will serve off this morning at the Tennis Section of Ikoyi Club 1938 with focus on Joseph Umeh who is aiming to end second fiddle roles.Umeh is the top player on the Nigeria Tennis Federation (NTF) ranking but has been unable to translate this to silverware. Five times the tough-hitting player has been in finals of national tournaments but has lost all. Last year, he lost in the final of the maiden edition of this Rainoil Tournament to Henry Atseye to make it look as if a jinx exists for him.Speaking ahead of today’s first round games Umeh insisted he is out to end his bad run. “I’m looking forward to end my bad run, I have been on top of my game and I just need to push hard and I believe this is the time for me to win a national tournament.”
Bournemouth signs Afobe BOURNEMOUTH, England (AP): Bournemouth has added more firepower in their bid to survive in their first season in the English Premier League, signing Benik Afobe from second-tier Wolverhampton Wanderers for a reported fee of £10 million ($14.5 million). The 22-year-old Afobe is a former Arsenal trainee, who has represented England at youth and under-21 levels. He has scored 10 goals in 27 matches for Wolves this season. Bournemouth announced the signing yesterday, with chief executive Neill Blake saying Afobe is a “consistent threat in front of goal” and that his “pedigree as an Arsenal Academy product must also not be underestimated”. Bournemouth are 16th in the 20-team Premier League, four points above the relegation zone. Shah to appeal against suspension ISLAMABAD (AP): Pakistan leg spinner Yasir Shah will appeal against his suspension for testing positive for a banned substance. The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) told the ICC yesterday and the game’s governing body will now form a tribunal to hear Shah’s appeal. Shah was suspended last month after his ‘A’ sample contained a banned substance – chlortalidone – which is on the World Anti-Doping Agency prohibited list. Local reports say Shah took his wife’s blood pressure medication without knowing that it contained the banned substance. During his suspension Shah cannot participate in any international match or games organised by the PCB or its affiliated members. Wawrinka wins Chennai Open CHENNAI, India (AP): Stan Wawrinka won his fourth title at the Chennai Open yesterday with a 6-3, 7-5 win over upcoming Borna Coric of Croatia. Fifteen aces and trademark backhand shots helped the top-seeded Swiss dominate against 19-year-old Coric, the youngest player in the world’s top 50 at No. 44. It was the fourth title in five finals for 30-year-old Wawrinka, who had finished runner-up in 2010 and won his first title in 2011 at the hard court venue. He also won in 2014 and 2015. Wawrinka saved all five break points even as Coric, playing his maiden ATP final, failed to put up the kind of fight that saw him win three-setters in four previous matches.
…while previous lease still validMembers of a co-op society are calling for the repossession of lands at Trafalgar, West Coast Berbice (WCB), which were leased by the Mahaica Mahaicony Abary – Agricultural Development Authority (MMA-ADA) back in 2006 and then permission was inexplicably given for persons to operate on the land, even though the previous lease was still valid.Head of the Co-op Society and Councillor of the Region Democratic Council (RDC) of Region Five (Mahaica-Berbice), Lloyda Angus explained that the lease was granted for persons to utilise three plots of land after registering with the Friendly Society Organisation. Shares were sold and 30 persons obtained a spot to conduct economic and agricultural activities. The lease was valid for some 50 years.“We formed ourselves into a co-operative where we sold shares and we embarked on projects like beekeeping, poultry, sewing and so on. That lease was valid for 50 years and I signed as the lessee,” she explained.However, in 2015, the office was visited by a group of APNU supporters, who demanded that she hand over the key to the building, indicating that they would be the new occupants. Angus said she was also told to relinquish the lease documents.“In 2015, the APNU supporters said they’re coming to break the office unless I give the present persons that are there the keys. With the threats I received, I choose to leave. In the process, they also called the police. Until this day, those things are still at the Fort Wellington Police Station,” the Councillor related.Angus stated that in 2018, the MMA-ADA then gave the land to the Food For The Poor organisation for houses to be constructed for persons within the community. Last December, the matter was heard in the High Court, where Justice Navindra Singh ruled that that the present occupants are trespassing.“The MMA-ADA cannot do that. As the lessee, only I can give permission in writing for someone to use the land. An official there was the one who give them permission to use the land even though he wasn’t supposed to do so.”However, the attorney representing the co-op society offered to settle the matter by having an election with the two parties.“On December 12, 2018, this matter was heard and Justice Singh told the occupants that they are trespassing. The attorney said to us that in order for us to regain possession of this land, we must go for an election, forming an interim committee with the illegal occupants,” she said.It was indicated that the shareholders have been paying monies to the MMA-ADA for the past three years, but yet, they cannot access the land. The Councillor told this publication that they are seeking to regain possession of the land, which is now occupied by trespassers. She reminded that the lease is still valid. Efforts by this newspaper to contact officials of the MMA- ADA for a comment on the matter were futile.Head of the Co-op Society Lloyda Angus
Letterkenny Institute of Technology made presentations to 16 new entrant sports scholars yesterday (Mon). Those awarded the scholarship, which is worth €1,000 to each successful applicant, were selected from the current academic group of new entrant students, in recognition of their performance and achievement in either GAA at Intercounty level or Soccer at League of Ireland level.Upon the introduction of the New Entrant Sports Scholarship Programme in September 2015, a total of 3 awards were then made. The continued growth of the programme has been accredited to the development of sport in the institute in recent years and also to the ever-increasing standards in both GAA and Soccer in the third level education sector, in particular in LYIT.The New Entrant Sports Scholarship Programme is also linked to the main Sports Scholarship Programme in the institute. These scholarships are awarded during February of each year.The winning New Entrant Sports Scholarships students for this year are:Grainne O Neill, Swinford, Co Mayo, a Mayo U20 player Julie Trearty, Carrigart, a Donegal senior playerAaron Gillooley, Ballybofey, a Donegal U20 playerLiam Jackson, Ardee, Co Louth, a Louth minor playerMark McAteer, Letterkenny, a Donegal minor playerConor O Donnell, Carndonagh, a Donegal U20 playerJoseph Greene, Annagry, a Donegal minor Hurling panellistThomas Hartnett, Dungloe, a Donegal minor Hurling panellist Gabriel Aduaka, Letterkenny, Finn Harps U19 playerJoel Bradley Walsh, Ballybofey, Finn Harps U19 playerConor Doherty, Ballybofey, Derry City U19 playerKieran Farren, Carndonagh, Finn Harps U19 playerJordan Gallagher, Manorcunningham, Finn Harps U19 playerCorey McBride, Clonmany, Finn Harps U19 playerFionn McClure, Carndonagh, Derry City U19 playerLee McLaughlin, Carndonagh, Finn Harps U19 playerIn presenting the awards, Billy Bennett, VP for Academic Affairs and Registrar of LYIT, congratulated the recipients and complimented the GAA and Soccer club members in LYIT on having maintained and enhanced the sporting standards over the years. Billy commented that the development and commitment each year, provides the basis for the expanding sports programme.Billy also urged these students to be aware of their academic commitments and to establish a balance between their sports and studies in the year ahead.New entrant sports scholarships awarded at Letterkenny Institute of Technology was last modified: October 8th, 2019 by Shaun KeenanShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)
[vemba-video … CLICK HERE if you are having a problem viewing the photos on a mobile deviceOAKLAND — The main topic of conversation following the Warriors’ 104-100 Game 1 win over the Rockets Sunday isn’t Golden State’s gutsy effort on short rest.It isn’t Kevin Durant’s dominant offensive run — he scored 35 points Sunday and is averaging 40 per game over his last five — either.No, the conversation is all about the referees.
Check out some of Military Caregiving’s recent blog posts: This MFLN-Military Caregiving concentration blog post was published on December 23, 2016. Submitted by Alicia Cassels, MA MFLN Caregiving Team-Learning and Engagement ConsultantFamilies with special health care needs must navigate an ever-changing and complex healthcare landscape as they work to initiate services, connect with providers and deal with sometimes significant waiting periods to access specialty care. Regardless of skill, existing family responsibilities, or work-related demands, caregivers must often expend a great deal of time and energy in securing and maintaining necessary care for loved ones.Social workers and other helping professionals are often uniquely poised to serve as effective resources in helping connect families with services they need. Due to a number of factors, caregivers may be reluctant to seek the support of these helping professionals until their family is struggling or in crisis. When they do reach out for support, caregivers may not fully communicate their needs due to fear that sharing issues like mental health concerns, marital stress, or substance abuse may carry negative consequences.For helping professionals, the first meeting with families often sets the stage in building trust and reducing barriers to communication around sensitive topics. Taking time to incorporate effective trust-building strategies into initial and subsequent meetings is critically important in fostering effective communication. In the webinar session, Empowering Caregivers and Families, military helping professionals share effective practices for reducing barriers to communication of family needs. Explore two strategies below.Communicate respect – The demonstration of mutual respect is critical to building trust with families. It is important to incorporate verbal and non-verbal strategies for communicating respect during initial and subsequent encounters. Two examples of non-verbal strategies for communicating respect include the use of private meeting space and taking care to begin scheduled meetings with families on time. Listen without judgment to the family story- During an initial meeting, it is helpful to take the time to learn about family needs and experiences. Taking time to listen without judgment lets families know that you want to understand their experiences and priorities.To learn more about how to help families communicate sensitive information, view Empowering Caregivers and Families.
A multi-party delegation from Goa comprising BJP and Congress MLAs met Union Minister for Shipping Nitin Gadkari in New Delhi on Monday and urged the Central government to find ways to resume mining in the State. The delegation was led by senior minister Sudin Dhavalikar. On February 7, the Supreme Court directed that all mining activity in Goa’s 88 operational iron ore mining leases be stopped after March 15 and the leases be issued afresh after obtaining new environmental clearances. In the memorandum to Mr. Gadkari, the delegation which also included Goa Health Minister Vishwajit Rane (BJP), Speaker Pramod Sawant, and Congress MLA Nilkanth Halarnkar, sought mining leases in Goa be renewed by 20 years, instead of being issued afresh.“We have expressed our concerns to the Central government that re-issuing the mining leases afresh, as directed by the Supreme Court, will result in stopping of mining activity for more than a year, which is an economic loss for Goa and its people,” Mr. Halarnkar said. The delegation is expected to meet Union Mines Minister Narendra Singh Tomar later in the day. However, within the Congress in Goa there is a divided opinion over the renewal issue, with its senior MLA Aleixo Reginaldo demanding that mining leases be auctioned to ensure that the State benefits the most from its natural resources.Goa’s private sector mining is in trouble since 2012 when Justice Shah Commission exposed an estimated ₹35,000 crore illegal mining scam, triggering a ban on mining in the State. The ban was later revoked in 2014 with the Supreme Court laying down strict regulations and a cap of 20 million tonnes of extraction per annum.