Court ruling puts another roadblock in front of troubled Atlantic Coast Pipeline FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享Associated Press:A federal appeals court on Monday denied a request to reconsider a ruling throwing out a permit for the Atlantic Coast Pipeline to cross two national forests, including parts of the Appalachian Trail.The 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals rejected a request from lead pipeline developer Dominion Energy and the U.S. Forest Service to hold a full-court rehearing. In December, a three-judge panel of the 4th Circuit sharply criticized the Forest Service, saying the agency lacked authority to authorize the pipeline’s crossing of the trail.The panel also said the agency “abdicated its responsibility to preserve national forest resources” when it approved the pipeline crossing the George Washington and Monongahela National Forests, and a right-of-way across the Appalachian Trial.The 605-mile (974-kilometer) natural gas pipeline would originate in West Virginia and run through parts of North Carolina and Virginia.In a joint statement, the Southern Environmental Law Center and the Sierra Club said the Fourth Circuit’s denial of a new hearing “sends the Atlantic Coast Pipeline back to the drawing board.” The groups said they believe it is impossible to build the pipeline “without causing massive landslides and threatening the Appalachian Trail and our clean water.”More: New hearing rejected for pipeline to cross Appalachian Trail
“This unbeaten record has not only been achieved this season, but also last year under (former coach) Luis Enrique,” said Barca coach Valverde.“It’s a shared record, because it crossed over between seasons. It has been quite difficult, because of the fact it’s an old record that hasn’t been broken for a long time.”Valverde named a strong side despite having a Champions League quarter-final, second leg on Tuesday at Roma, with Messi, Luis Suarez and Philippe Coutinho all starting.Suarez passed up two good early chances to put Barca ahead, prodding wide and then seeing visiting goalkeeper Ivan Cuellar deny him with an excellent save. But the hosts moved in front in the 27th minute through a trademark Messi free-kick.The Argentinian stepped up and curled the ball over the ball and into the bottom corner from 25 yards out to score his 27th league goal of the season.It didn’t take the 30-year-old long to double his tally for the day, latching onto Coutinho’s through ball and firing low into the corner. Madrid, Spain | AFP | Barcelona equalled the record longest unbeaten run in La Liga history as a Lionel Messi hat-trick inspired the runaway leaders to a 3-1 win over Leganes on Saturday to make it 38 league games unbeaten.The Catalan giants will look to break the record that Real Sociedad set in 1979-80 when they host Valencia next weekend, with Ernesto Valverde’s side now just seven matches from becoming the first La Liga side to go through a campaign without tasting defeat.Messi was the star of the show at the Camp Nou with a magnificent treble, as Barca stretched their lead at the top to 12 points ahead of second-placed Atletico Madrid’s derby against Real Madrid on Sunday. Barcelona eased off in the second half, perhaps with the midweek clash at the Stadio Olimpico on their minds, and Leganes hit back midway through the second half.Former Liverpool winger Nabil El Zhar cut inside and fired into the bottom corner from the edge of the box despite slipping as he shot.But the home side finished off the match as a contest late on with Messi completing his third hat-trick of the season in style.Share on: WhatsApp Pages: 1 2
Coming into the season, it was Madrid with the darker clouds hanging over them after a poor pre-season left some wondering whether Zinedine Zidane, more than Valverde, would soon be feeling the heat.Instead, a retro-looking side, without a single summer signing, and with Gareth Bale, opened up last weekend with an assertive 3-1 win away at Celta Vigo.“We had difficulties in pre-season with our results but not our work,” Zidane said. “It was essential to start this way, by playing well and winning.”Bale was excellent and with Eden Hazard not expected back until after the international break, the Welshman should continue his reintegration against Real Valladolid on Saturday.“We have to turn over a new leaf,” said Sergio Ramos. “We can’t regret or celebrate what’s happened before. We start from scratch.”Atletico Madrid made a winning start too, at home to Getafe, even if a slightly nervy 1-0 win felt rather familiar, despite a handful of attacking signings this summer, including the hugely talented Joao Felix.Still, Getafe were arguably the toughest opponent to break down last season. Atletico might have more joy on Saturday away at Leganes.Fixtures (all times GMT)FridayGranada v Sevilla (1800), Levante v Villarreal (2000)SaturdayOsasuna v Eibar (1500), Real Madrid v Real Valladolid (1700), Celta Vigo v Valencia (1900), Getafe v Athletic Club (1900)SundayAlaves v Espanyol (1500), Mallorca v Real Sociedad (1500), Leganes v Atletico Madrid (1700), Barcelona v Real Betis (1900)Share on: WhatsApp Lionel Messi missed Barcelona’s opening defeat by Athletic Bilbao with a calf injury.Madrid, Spain | AFP | Lionel Messi could be ready to play against Real Betis on Sunday and Barcelona could do with him back.In other circumstances, Messi might have left it another week, having missed the whole of pre-season with a calf injury he sustained in his first training session back.But after re-joining his team-mates on Wednesday, the temptation will be to put Messi straight to work, to lift the mood and minimise the chances of what would be a disastrous second slip in La Liga.One defeat, by Athletic Bilbao inside a bouncing San Mames on the opening night and inflicted by a freakishly brilliant bicycle kick in the 89th minute, might ordinarily have been accepted as a blip.“San Mames is always a difficult place to play,” said Gerard Pique. “When you’re not at your best, they make you look stupid.”Yet memories of Barcelona’s capitulation in May remain fresh.The humiliation in the Champions League and submission in the final of the Copa del Rey mean this team and, in particular, their coach begin the season very much on the back foot.Ernesto Valverde is never far from blame, suspicion about his style and suitability always bubbling under the surface, despite the fact he is hoping to become the first Barca coach since Pep Guardiola to win three La Liga titles in a row.When Messi tweaked his calf, it was assumed an attacking roster of Luis Suarez, Antoine Griezmann and Ousmane Dembele would cope.– Lure of Neymar –Instead, Suarez and Dembele both picked up strains against Bilbao while Griezmann delivered the sort of hesitant display to suggest he may also need time to adapt.“This league is hard,” Griezmann said. “We have to bounce back.”Another muscle injury for Dembele, his fifth in two years at Barcelona, is a concern, especially after the 22-year-old reportedly took time off in France instead of undergoing medical tests.It all means Messi’s return carries added urgency, even if it remains more likely the Argentinian will come off the bench at Camp Nou than be named in the starting line-up.The lure of Neymar also grows, even if Barcelona are yet to agree a deal with Paris Saint-Germain. The prospect of Real Madrid jumping in too, surely plays on the mind of president Josep Maria Bartomeu.
A newborn baby girl found inside a Boca Raton dumpster last month was returned to her father on Wednesday night, the father’s lawyer confirmed.Carlos Martins’ lawyer says that a judge ordered that the baby, named Sarah Jimenes Carvalho, be returned to his client.Rafaelle Sousa, the child’s 35-year-old mother, faces charges of attempted felony murder and child abuse. She has pleaded not guilty.Detectives with the Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office say that Sousa admitted to delivering the baby, placing her in a white plastic bag with household trash, and leaving her in a dumpster at an apartment complex near Boca Entrada Boulevard on May 8.Sousa also told the detectives that she returned to the dumpster twice to make sure the baby was dead. However, she did not get close because there were other people nearby, according to a probable cause affidavit.Two people discovered the crying baby and called the authorities.A judge denied Sousa bond at a court hearing in May.Under Florida’s “Safe Haven” law, unwanted newborns can be dropped off anonymously at a hospital or fire station with no questions asked.Fire Rescue will then transport the child to the nearest hospital for medical care. Eighteen newborns have been turned over since the program was introduced in Palm Beach County in 2000.PBSO: Person of Interest Detained in Boca Dumpster Baby Case